A month ago, we where releasing ModernBB 3.3 to you. And guess what, we’ve got a new update ready for you! This time, it’s ModernBB 3.4, which brings you some nice improvements, better security, a new editor and more. As always, the download is available at our home- and download-page. Make a backup before updating! So… what’s new?
- A new editor: because the TinyMCE editor didn’t work very well, we’re replacing it with CKEditor. The result is a revised interface, improved abbilities and a much better working editor!
- Parser: the parser has been given an update, we dropped support for heading levels, only leaving 1 intact, we removed inline code and inline quotes and alignment options. We hope this will using ModernBB easier and better, you’re users can’t make a mess of their posts anymore.
- Cookie bar: disabled by default, the cookie bar warns users that ModernBB creates cookies on their PC. The cookie bar is only visible for guests and only when this feature is enabled.
- More Backstage colors: last update, we redesigned the Backstage and improved our Accent function, adding 4 colors for you to choose from, red, yellow, green and the default ModernBB blue. In this update, we’ve improved the interface of this option and also added 8 new colors to the mix for you to personalise your Backstage.
- Avatars in navbar: the current user’s avatar is now displayed in the navigation bar.
- Embedding videos: embedding videos now behaves different, first of all, the default dimensions for an embedded video are changed to match modern standards, users will not be able to set their own size. In the Backstage, we’ve added 2 new options for you to change the default size of embedded videos.
- Less code: we’ve reduced the amount of code in the ModernBB package, one major step in this was the removal of Magic, Happy, Luna, Pinkie and Shy as build-in themes, no worries, you can download them from our style page in the “Random styles” pack! The ModernBB 3.4 package is 65% smaller then the ModernBB 3.3 package! We still provide a CDN-less version on our download page, under the new CDN-less-release table. Only ModernBB 3.4 and 3.5 will have CDN-less versions, starting from ModernBB 3.6, we will no longer provide CDN-less versions.
- And more…
- Bugfixes: and of course, there are the usual bugfixes in this release.
And now the big question everyone has: what’s next? Obsious, isn’t it? 3.4.1, 3.5 and 4.0 of course! Well… not exactly. While development of 3.4.1 will kick off starting today. I will wait a little bit with ModernBB 3.5. In fact, I’m moving it to a 3-weekly release scheme for ModernBB 3.4. So in 3 weeks, you can find yourself with ModernBB 3.4.1. Whatever we have ready for you by then, will be shipped. Since I’m going on a break for 10 days during that time, don’t expect to much from 3.4.1. Future updates like 3.4.2 and 3.4.3 will have some nice improvements, through. What kind of stuff can you expect from us in those small updates?
- Optimalizations: just like the main release, we will be improving our code!
- Social media in profile: we are planning to give the list of social media in the profile an update, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, etc. aren’t used that much anymore, instead, Facebook and Twitter will join the fun.
- Other small feature updates
- Bugfixes, as usual…
Except for ModernBB 3.4.1, I’ll also continue my work on Luna. It’s a very buggy thing right now, and you can’t even post a post. So yeah, there is a lot of work to be done… But we’re making progress, and that’s a good thing. I’ll post an announcement about Luna later the summer.
As you might know, the ModernBB.be forums where damaged and down during the 26-27 June periode due to a bug in ModernBB 3.4 RC1, the result isn’t that dramatical: our forums are back online, no data was lost. Except that we did lose our style. We will update the ModernBB Forums to be integrated with our main website in the near future (within 3 days).
Well, I hope all of you will enjoy this ModernBB update! I want to say thank you for everyone who worked with me on this release, it was awesome, I hope all of you contribute to the next ModernBB milestones too! ModernBB 3.4.1 will be a small feature release with the required bug fixes and small improvements (kind of like ModernBB 3.3.1). Anyway, I’m off! Enjoy this new ModernBB, enjoy our new website and see you next time!