Author Archives: Javier
Author Archives: Javier
As Promised, here is the complete review of the LG KC 910. Ive mentioned most of this already in the Preview: LG KC910 post. But here i will explain in more detail.
The LG KC 910 may be considered as the improved version of the Viewty. A lot of new features have been added and a lot of mistakes were corrected. This LG Phone falls in the same touch screen category as the Viewty. The main attraction of the LG Renoir, aside from the 3 inch touch screen display is the 8 mega pixel camera with advanced features such as smile and blink detection.
While some of the more prominent features of this phone are complete wireless connectivity such as HSDPA, Wi-Fi and GPS. DiVX and XVid recording and playback capability. An 8 mega pixel camera, an onscreen QWERTY keyboard and automatic screen rotation make it one of the best phones in the market today.
You guys may have noticed in the preview pictures and I may also have mentioned that the keys below the screen seemed a bit out of place and gave a “cheap” look. But once you have this phone in your hands you will know that the buttons below the screen only add to the beauty of the phone.
The dimensions of the phone are 107.8 x 55.9 x 14 mm. These are almost the same dimensions as of the LG KU 990 Viewty. The KC 910 is only 5mm taller. As this phone has been derived from the Viewty, it has almost the same feel as that of Viewty.
On the front of the phone we have the impressive 3 inch touch screen display, which takes almost all of the front face of the phone. The screen and the front of the phone have the same mirror finish as the Viewty had. Below the screen there exist 3 actual (non-touch) keys. These are the green call and the red call end key, along with a special menu key in the middle that opens up the application launcher and the task manager.[smartads]Above the screen, there is a light sensor, that detects the light setting and accordingly adjusts the brightness of the phone, hence saving battery power. Besides the sensor is the video call camera that can be used when making video calls via 3G.
On the right side of the phone we have the volume up and down keys along with the camera shutter key. The shutter key also starts up the camera. Besides the camera shutter key is the image stabilization and lock key. On the left side of the phone we have the micro SD slot along with the USB port. The USB port is used to connect the data cable, the headset and the charger. The micro SD slot can support cards up to 8 GB. While on the back of the phone we have the all powerful 8 megapixel camera along with a powerful flash. The back of the phone is a beauty and its metal finish makes it all the more attractive.
The camera of the Renoir is an amazing 8 mega pixel camera with Schneider-Kreuznach optics. The camera also comes with a xenon flash thus making it an alternative to your professional cameras. The camera has a maximum resolution of 3264×2448 pixels, and the picture quality is stunning. The camera uses the entire 3 inch display as a viewfinder and the experience is wonderful.
The interface of the camera is the same as that of Viewty, except for a few additions. One of the most prominent feature of LG Renoir is the touch screen focus. All you have to do is point on the touch screen which object you want in focus and the KC 910 will make it so. Other features of the LG Renoir are face tracking. Though face tracking is a wonderful option, it only works when taking the picture of a single person. In group photos this option will not work.
Smile detection and blink detection have also been added to the Renoir. Smile detection will only take a picture if the person smiles, just like the advertised Sony cybershot cameras. However blink detection works differently, if during a snap a person blinks then after the shot has been taken, Renoir will warn you that a blink was detected.
Camera recording is as stunning as it was in the Viewty. It records in DivX 5 video codec thus the recorded videos will have excellent quality and will take very little space. Along with the standard VGA resolution at 40 frames per second, LG KC910 Renoir can record in a widescreen resolution of 640×384 at 30 frames per second, which is impressive no matter how you look at it. It can also record in high speed or slow motion in the QVGA resolution.
Display: TFT touchscreen, 256K colors, 240 x 400 pixels, 3.0 inches.
Network: 2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 190. 3G Network: HSDPA 210.
Battery: Standard battery, Li-Ion 1000mAh.
Size: 107.8 x 55.9 x 14 mm. Weight: 114 g.
Camera: 8 MP, 3264×2448 pixels, autofocus, video(VGA 30fps, QVGA up to 120fps), xenon flash; secondary VGA videocall camera.
Features: SMS, EMS, MMS, Email, WAP 2.0/xHTML, pre-installed and download able Games.
Connectivity: GPRS: Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 – 48 kbps, EDGE: Class 10, 236.8 kbps, 3G: HSDPA, 3.6 Mbps, Bluetooth: v2.0 with A2DP, USB: 2.0, WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
Memory: MicroSD card slot supporting up to 8 GB card.
Android by Google is reaching high peaks of users. There are various apps for Android created by some or the other person. As Android is getting famous and more users are migrating to Android, apps and their developers are reaching more audience and greater popularity. That’s why even non-coders are interested to develop Android apps. Are you also interested in making an app? Cutting down the confusion, here is a step-by-step procedure to make a customized browser for your Android phone or tablet. Using this guide, even people having no knowledge of coding will be having their own custom browser ready for download.
This custom browser will be powered by the amazing Maxthon Browser for Android. Maxthon is a fast, cloud-synced browser with full of features. Maxthon for Android has many advance features that lack in other browsers like custom user agent, screen orientation, private browsing, wap/web option, etc. You can customize the browser with your custom name, icon, splash screen, browser theme, custom home screen, etc. Using this guide, you won’t be building a complete new browser but a customized version of Maxthon Browser for Android. But believe me, you’ll like the custom app of yours!
1. Icon for custom Browser of 72×72 pixels in jpg/png format of size < 50KB. If you don’t provide this, Maxthon’s default will be used.
2. Splash Screen for custom Browser of 480×800 pixels in jpg/png format of size < 500KB. I’ll advice image in png format as jpg didn’t worked for me. If you don’t provide this, Maxthon’s default will be used.
2. Click on ‘make it now’ button.
3. As directed, click on ‘Connect your Facebook’ button. You need to connect Maxthon with your Facebook account to continue. Please note that Maxthon uses this connection to post a status update on your Timeline like “I made a custom browser for android using Make my browser. Make your own browser here.” after you make your custom browser using its platform (of course, you can delete this status after it get posted).
4. After you’ve connected your Facebook profile, you’ll return back to ‘Make your Browser’ page showing you 6 steps of creating your custom browser. If not, then follow steps 1-2 again (don’t log out from your Facebook account – keep it intact).
5. If you’ve successfully followed above steps, then you’ll see 6 steps, starting with this:
6. Enter the name of your custom browser. This will be the name of your custom Android app and this name will be shown in the app drawer or while installing the app.
7. Next, upload the icon for your custom browser. Icon should be 72×72 pixels in jpg/png format as I directed in prerequisites. Choose default if you don’t have your own icon. This will be the icon of your custom Android app that will be shown in the app drawer.
8. Now, enter a custom homepage for your own browser. If you don’t have your own homepage then how about entering http://www.TechAthena.com [http://web.archive.org/web/20120902074216/http://techathena.com/] or http://www.google.com [http://web.archive.org/web/20120902074216/http://www.google.com/]. This will be the deafult homepage on the custom browser.
9. Next, choose a default theme for your custom browser. This theme will be included by default in your browser.
10. Now, upload a custom splash screen for your browser of 480×800 pixels in jpg/png format as I directed in prerequisites. Choose default if you don’t have your own splash screen. This image will be shown at the time of starting of the app.
11. Enter your email id. Download link of your custom Android browser will be sent to this email id. Download link is also presented to you in the browser after custom app is built but providing email id is mandatory. After entering email id, click on ‘Create Android Browser’ button.
12. You’ll see a small dialog box displaying the progress of building your customized Android browser.
13. After build process has been completed, you’ll see a download link. Download the .apk file to your computer and copy it to your android phone’s memory card.
1. Check ‘Unknown sources’ in your phone’s settings. In Android 4.0+, it is available under Settings -> Security.
2. Now, locate to the .apk file with your phone’s file browser and click on it to install it.
3. Say ‘yes’ for the confirmation dialog.
4. After installation is complete, you will see your customized browser in the app drawer.
Android is gaining markets and developers are readily creating new products to suffice customers’ needs. But that’s not all – many non-coders are also willing to create apps and here’s how you can create a custom Android app for you. It’s a simple procedure and I’ve tried to list out details as much as possible so that you find least problems while creating your first app for Android platform. Maxthon browser is quite good in features in comparison to other Android browsers – it’s not so good in looks but yes, it provide lots of customization options to make it suit your needs.
I’d love to know about your customized browser.
If you find any problems while following this tutorial, report to us using comments.
Studies show that over 90% of all online users use search engines to find what they are looking for, whether products, services, or just plain old information. There is only one way to get to the front page of those results and that is by mastering SEO Web Site Traffic Generation.
Sure you could spend money on PPC advertising to jump ahead but you better have some deep pockets. Plus, if you don’t know what you are doing with Pay Per Click then your site could get slapped by Google, or you could just spend lots of money with absolutely no return on your investment.
The most tried and true method to get web site traffic is by making sure all elements are in place with your website as far as search engine optimization is concerned. Once you have that straight it’s time to get busy!
Yes…. I do mean busy. Nothing good ever happens overnight so don’t fall into those pie in the sky dreams of a sudden flood of traffic to your site and money just magically appearing in your PayPal account. It takes some effort. Even if you did see a sudden surge in traffic, it could be short lived if you do not keep up with building back links and driving traffic.
The search engines have a job. That job is to provide the most valuable information to their customers as possible. If all they do is dish up spammy sites then their customers will go elsewhere. So, if your web site is not providing value to the almighty search engines than it will get pushed to the bottom of the dog pile.
How do you provide value? First and foremost is to generate quality content. Give people some good stuff. Not just on your website but on other people’s websites. That’s how you get great back links. Building back links will get you SEO web site traffic. Search engine optimized website traffic is the BEST traffic out there.
Why is SEO website traffic the best? Think about it, a potential website visitor enters a keyword phrase into Google, Yahoo, or Bing. They are then presented with a list of 10 or so websites on the first page related to that keyword phrase. They quickly scan the results and click on the first one that tells their busy little mind that their answer lies in the following website. When they arrive at that site, they take about 2.3 seconds to either be impressed and happy with their choice or annoyed and uninterested. They either stay and love you or they hit that back space button never to return again!
If your website page is relevant to that keyword phrase and designed to engage the visitor as well as impress the search engine algorithms than you will get more happy customers from your web site traffic.
Definitely, you choose your online business to have success as an alternative for flop. Like most business efforts, it’s important to learn how to handle it – very not enough people succeed by leaping in both feet. What usually occurs is they begin, determine the pool is expired their heads and they’ve forgotten easy methods to swim.
Instead, discover ways to swim when you leap; the waters of online advertising and online business are actually deep. Here are a few swimming instructions, in no particular order:
1. Link from your site to the blog. Assuming you have a web publication and also a site, always make sure your content is readily accessible to visitors. Don’t make sure they search online for your updated content.
2. Create social networking. Make your web sites clear to understand and comply with – don’t conceal the buttons somewhere. While almost all people include online social network buttons on the web publication, consider placing them as part of your contact web page as well.
3. Create social bookmarking.If you don’t surely have a way if anyone is to share your content, get some! If you are using WordPress, discover of social bookmarking plugins available. You should also use similar to ShareThis, for normal sites.
4. Offer a place on most of your site for white papers or detailed articles. Blogs are… well, blogs. If you are using plr article marketing as a tool, use your site as you , once submission areas. Refer to it as “White Papers” or “Long, In-Depth Enterprise Articles” or “Where We Put Our 2000+ Word Books”. Refer to it as whatever you desire, however imparting an establishment like it willaids flip your site into an info hub with regards to your industry.
5. You need to contain a sitemap. You’re able to fairly it as well as have it convenient for visitors to read, or you possibly can take a the usual XML sitemap. Notwithstanding, sitemaps assist serps crawl your site, so don’t neglect to build it and link to it.
6. Choice to drop key-word analysis and track your usage. We use an Excel sheet, however a thing document works simply as well. From each main site web page, record what key terms you used, your title and meta description. If you change one thing, record that as well. This manner, there is a stable record of changes and can also with less effort track how those changes affected your site ranking and traffic.
8. Don’t ignore content audits. Set a period of time (say, each six months) to carry out a content audit. A content audit can support you in finding non-performing pages, identify matters your readers really like and what pages you can get reduce, between different things.
9. Produce a content strategy. You are able to formulate whatsoever pops into their heads, send against eachother to qualify for the waiting black hole of the on-line world and wait to see whether one thing comes back. Or, you may create a detailed strategy for:
* what type of content you’ll prepare (images, blogs, white papers, movies, etc.)
* where you’ll put your content (your site, your site, guest publish, YouTube)
* how you’ll track your efforts (a content monitoring program, manual search, etc.)
* the main (and sub) pursuits on your content strategy (conversions, increased traffic, better engagement)
10. Share the link love. Assuming you have 15 social networking accounts and every will let you link to average, do so. If you’re writing a website on XYZ and you observe a relevant, supporting article, link to it. If ABC company has a fantastic white paper about your enterprise, share it utilizing your readers. For instance, don’t hold backlinks to yourself too much of fear with regards to your competition. The boldness you may have as part of your company’s product/services will show.
As any tip, recognise that online and offline business is not the same. You will be endeavoring to reach the equal audience, clients, clients, what you give them a call, however the ones you select can be relatively different. Don’t make the mistake of pondering you will take offline instructions and apply them online if you don’t take extra measures.
How has your online business experience labored for everyone? Did you get simple to use to begin, or, similar to most, did you absolutely need swimming instructions? Share your first lesson with other sites in the!
When it comes to SEO, you may have come across many people talking about SEO strategy. There’s a good reason too. Basically SEO has never been straight forward and it never will be. As Google continues to change its search engine algorithm on ranking websites Strategy’s continue to change. So let’s get straight to the point.
Well as you could imagine it’s the strategy you will take to improve your search engine listings. Over the years, SEO’s have categorized different strategy’s into different category’s. For the past few years the main strategies have been black hat and white hat. Recently people have started to mix the two and started to call it gray hat. To keep this short basically black hat strategy’s are usually un ethical such as spam. Where as white hat strategy’s are more ethical usually manual strategies where as black hat is usually automated using programs. Usually when it come’s to an SEO strategy the main focus is building back links. Though this is not the only ranking factor Google uses for their algorithm it is still (though arguable) the main ranking factor. It’s how Google see’s how popular your website is. I think the problem that most are having are quality of links. Where as black hat is all about quantity and not quality.
Well first you must decide on the method you would like to use to obtain your backlinks. Do you want quality or quantity? Do you want to automate the process? Make easy money online? This is where i’ll step in for a second. I highly advise you against using an automated solution, this does not mean don’t buy SEO products and so on so forth. Though if you are looking for a program to do all the hard work then think again. Many people have gone down the road of black hat tactics and over the years they have succeeded in manipulating the search results. Google is no longer primitive and are continuously fighting against spam. Unfortunately this is where it get’s difficult. From my study’s I would say that older sites that have ranked using black hat methods and had their websites stick in the search results don’t seem to be the sites that are effected. Don’t get me wrong a lot of sites have lost their rankings over night but some, oddly enough just haven’t been effected. Where as I’ve noticed new sites to be flagged straight away. So the only option really is using white hat methods. This is also a problem, it’s hard and constant work. At time’s, depending on your niche, you could spend all day and result in no backlinks. Though if you work hard with white hat methods there’s a good chance you could eventually rank very well, not only well but it should stick.
Let’s face it, it is easy to fire someone who is a total menace. When it comes to someone you despise, vengeance can come quickly and mercilessly, severing the former employee from the company in a master stroke. And to be honest, you probably feel good about it too. But what about firing someone who is upbeat, well-liked, and a genuinely good human being?
I was reading an article over at Datamation by Eric Spiegel entitled Dealing with Unaccountable Developers. He discussed having to fire a developer who was decent at their job but always late in turning in assignments. He confessed that if the developer was a jerk it would have been no problem, but since he was a well liked guy it was very difficult.
Now imagine a new scenario. You work in a decent sized company (not too large that everything is impersonal, but not so small that everyone can go to lunch at the same restaurant, at the same time) and unfortunately a round of layoffs is about to happen. Let’s now take you and a duplicate of you. Both does the same good job at work, one though is upbeat and helpful the other is well a jerk.
It’s not just the fact that positive people are pleasant and the working environment is such a nice place with that sort of work conditions (ok well that is a really big reason), but optimistic, positive people are, as they said in the Army, a force multiplier. Positive people make me work harder because work becomes fun. It also makes it so I don’t dread getting up in the morning.
Which one do you think will keep their job? I know what you are saying, “Dave, it’s not even a contest me and myself obviously have the same skills and between the two of us of course they are going to keep the person who isn’t a hellion.”
True enough. So how about this, you have a team of say ten employees. Out of the ten, your brightest star is a real ass. The type of guy that put everyone in a foul mood. Unfortunately the guy is absolutely brilliant, a fact he knows all too well and reminds everyone of it every day. The other 9 employees aren’t great, but they are bad. They get the job done for the most. You need to cut one person from the team for budget concerns. Who would you cut?
Difficult. See the easy route would be to fire one of the under performers. However, the question is, why are they underperforming? Just as the positive people make work less of a problem and may even make it fun and a joy to do, the negative people produce a hostile working environment. Instead of focusing on work, the nine people could be starring at the clock waiting for the work day to end so they can get the hell out of Dodge. I was talking to Ron about this the other day and he had actual experience with this a while back.
He had a star employee, one who performed far better than anyone, however he was difficult to be around let alone work with. The rest of the team wasn’t bad, they were, well average. Ron had to fire one of them, but the choice was difficult. In the end, he fired the “talent.” He was just too high maintenance and was not a team player in the truest sense of the word. What was interesting was the change to the team that took place after the jerk was fired. In a few days, the office environment was jovial and warm. The team ended up producing a lot more. In fact, they produced more than enough to make up for the loss. It was a gamble in some respects, obviously the jerk was the best employee and if all things remained as is, firing him would have crippled the team. Often times however, an individual’s performance doesn’t just hinge on themselves but on other varying factors within the office.
So in summary, optimism and positive thinking, doesn’t just help you be content, it helps those around you and it may even save your job.
Firstly, if you don’t know what freeware software’s are then let me give you a little introduction of it. Freeware software are basically the software which can be used free of cost. But, they comes with a copyright license in which we cannot edit/modify the software. Though they can be distributed to your friends/family as they’re free.
Another benefit of freeware software’s is sometimes they’re better the paid software’s as well. Though it also depends upon the developer like how often he wishes to update the software and how he/she provides the support for it. Then also, a freeware software is like a life-saving solution against heavily charged software’s.
Today, I’m going to share with you a list of four really helpful freeware tools which you’ll surely love and some of you might be using them already as well.
This tool can be considered as a replacement to the MS Office pack. It does all the things like basic writer, presentation, plan maker, etc. It is also better then OpenOffice.org, which is also a replacement of MS Office. It is compatible with Windows as well as Ubuntu and works very well on both the OS. But, unfortunately it has a drawback. It doesn’t work with the latest version’s of Windows. You’ll need to use the earlier versions of Windows but then also it can be very useful.
I’m sure some of you guys would surely be familiar with this tool. If not then let me give you a basic introduction of it. MalwareBytes is basically a Anti-Malware software which’ll protect your computer against Virus, Trojan, Malware, etc. It is the best freeware software I’ve used till now and I’m sure you’ll also like it.
Another freeware software which is very handy tool. If you haven’t been using this tool then I’m sure you’ve been missing lot of fun lately. This tool is just superb in a layman language. It’ll help you to share your screen with your friends easily. So, if you’ve ever got a problem in your PC then you can ask your friend to solve that without moving from your own PC’s. Though, this tool is only for Personal use. If you want to use it commercially you’ll need to buy a license for that.
Have you ever wanted a free software like Microsoft Outlook? Then this is your solution. This tool is very handy tool for all those who are looking for an alternative of MS Outlook. It is completely free and I just love using this software. Also, the interface is very easy to use and you’d be amazed how such a tool can be completely free. Also one more good thing about this tool is you can also add this in your FireFox browser and can make the most out of it. Though it just works in selected themes.
Keyword research should be one of the first things you do if you want to perform search engine optimization on a web page. You should do keyword research even before you write the text content for your page.
Let’s suppose you want to sell pet toys and want to search engine optimize particular product pages on the site. Keyword research involves determining what keyword phrases you want to target. The first thought that comes to mind would be “pet toys”.
However, simply running that search for that phrase in any search engine would tell you that this is a very popular keyword phrase that generates a lot of search results. You will also notice that the top search results are dominated by top retailers of well known and recognizable brands. You will also notice that there are a lot of advertised or sponsored ads on those pages as well.
As a small business owner, it is very difficult to compete with these large retailers in the organic search results ranking. Even if you pay for advertising, it would still be quite difficult to compete with these large retailers who have almost unlimited amounts of advertising dollars. Even if you can compete with them, it would be very expensive.
The point is that the keyword phrase “pet toys” is too broad, the competition is too tough, and it is a keyword phrase that is difficult to optimize for.
To remedy the problem, you want to narrow the keyword phrase to be more specific. Is the product description page for dogs or for cats? What kind of toys? Can you lengthen the phrases? Studies have shown that users are now typing in longer and longer search phrases than before. So you can still do well on longer keyword phrases (at least ones that are longer than two words).
Let’s say that you have narrowed it down to “cat toys”. That is better. A quick test on Google shows that this generates a 29 million search results as opposed to 32 million search results for “pet toys”.
Nevertheless, this is still too broad. How about “cat chew toys”? That’s better. This search phrase is narrower and enables your page to be able to do well with the proper optimization. We just have to make sure that this phrase has enough searches. It is no good if no one is searching that phrase.
The best way to determine how many people are searching this term is to use the Google External Keywords Tool. Just type in the key phrase and see how many monthly search Google gets for that term. Since Google is the leading search engine that processes the majority of the searches, this is a fairly accurate reflection of what people are likely to type into the search field.
Although you want to focus your keyword phrase, you don’t want to go too narrow such that the key phrase is rarely or never searched by user. For example, if you put in “feline chew toys” into the Google External Keyword Tool, you will find that hardly anyone searches that phrase. Therefore, that phrase would be too obscure. It is best to stick with “cat chew toys.”
SEO keyword analysis is an art. You have to find just the right balance between targeting a niche audience versus getting enough search volume.
An understanding of SEO Keyword Research is necessary to perform Effective Keyword SEO Research;
1. Make an initial list of every possible search word/phrase referred to as keywords that a potential customer may use to search for your product, information or services that you have on your website. Use more phrases rather then individual words.
2. Don’t use highly competitive keywords initially in the first phase of your seo as your seo handwork would get wasted. Try getting your pages ranked for less competitive keywords (but relevant) initially.
3. The more information you can include in your keywords , the better. What I mean by information is be specific about the location or services you provide. Add your location to your keyword if your content is geographically sensitive.
For example: A person may use “search engine optimization Usa” is you are looking for an SEO from Usa.
4. Add and refine the keywords you listed above by analyzing your competitors keywords. For each of the top 3 pages you find in Google, yahoo and bing, make a list of the title and keyword tags. See if you can find patterns of why these 3 pages are ranked for the keywords you wanted to be ranked for.
My approach to remove and prune the above keyword list is to
* Remove difficult terms.
* Remove Over-Competitive terms.
* Use questions for which your website would provide answers or solutions.
* Remove Ambiguous and broad terms (try to be as specific as possible).
5. Try to append the following most common action words to your keywords wherever relevant and make sure your website caters to them.
Some of the action words are: Free, Buy, Find, Purchase, Discounted, Lowest, Price, Luxury, Cheap and so on.
6. Avoid keywords that do not ad any value or weight to your keyword list such as: The, Of, For, Or, This, And, That, To, www, web and so on.
7. Keep track of your server logs or stats to check what people have searched for (keyword) to reach your site.
8. Ask your visitors what all keywords they had used in order to get to your site if you get a chance to interact with them and make a list. Try to pick out the most relevant keywords from the list and use them on your website.
9. Try getting a ranking by using the most common misspelled keywords.
For example: A person may use “search engine optimization” or “search engine optimization” to search for an SEO website.
10. Use both singular and plural versions of your top keywords. For example: A person may use “seo freelancer” or “seo freelancers” to search for an Freelance SEO website.
11. Use Specialized Keyword Tools to measure the actual statistics or popularity that your keywords. Eliminate the few that are not getting traffic.
Keyword Research Tools: Word Tracker, Google Ad words Keyword Tool.
When I meet with my clients and go through the process of helping them identify their business marketing goals, I not only ask them WHAT they do in their business to make money, I also ask them HOW they do it. This generally leads to a more indepth discussion about what they perceive their customers needing vs. wanting of them. It also brings to the forefront their business purpose. I am often surprised at how many people are in business and they don’t really understand their purpose.
Today I met with the co-owners of a health care consulting company who are caught between wanting to grow their business in a new direction and the daily struggle of being pulled back into work that their customers are needing from them right now. They have so much clutter in their way they can’t focus on setting new goals.
This is a common problem that many small businesses face as they attempt to grow, including my own. After I returned to my office, I took out a notebook and began to write down my businesses goals. This is an important component of any marketing plan, by the way. It’s also a section in my upcoming new book. Funny thing was, I hadn’t reviewed my own business goals since I last wrote my marketing plan three years ago! Shame on me. It was time for a critical review.
Once I wrote down all of the basics such as sales targets, the amount of money I want to make after expenses, etc. I began by asking myself the same questions that I ask of my clients. Now, I have to warn you that this process only works if you are honest with yourself. For me, I believe in marketing from within. This means that I believe in staying true to who I am and translating my “personality” to my business identity. I encourage my clients to do the same not only because it feels good, but because it creates the basis for your unique selling proposition. For me the question quickly became how can I meet my financial goals and do it with “heart”? How many businesses today say they are “committed to meeting and exceeding their customer’s expectations” and have “excellent” products and offer “superior” service. Don’t we all do this? One of the most important differentiators between competing business today is the level of heart within the company. Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos.com, Inc. describes in his book, “Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, And Purpose,” how he and his company refined their entire business purpose to this statement — “Zappos is about delivering happiness to the world.” WOW! Talk about putting your heart at the forefront of your business. To identify how to market from within and how to find your business heart, ask yourself the following questions:
1. What is my primary business product, service, offering? What is my secondary offering?
3. What matters to my customer is. . . ? What they want is. . . ? What they need is. . . ?
4. My cusotmers need me for (to do). . . ? I make it easy for my customers to do business with me because I. . .?
5. Who is my competition?
6. I am different from my competitors because. . .? How involved am I in my business? How much does the business depend upon me? What do I ultimately want most out of my business?
7. The best/worst customer experience I have ever had was. . . ? It made me feel like. . . ?
8. Do I have any special talents that could give me and my business a ”leg up” on the competition?
9. List 20 adjectives that describe you (the business owner) personally. Then circle the top five that are most important to you.
10. List 20 adjectives that describe how your customers perceive you and your business. You might have to start asking your customers for this information through surveys and customer feedback forms if you don’t already have access to this type of information. Once you have your list, circle the top five that are most important to you.
All of these questions forced me to define my businesses personality profile and it also helped me locate the “heart” at the core of what I do. Suddenly, it became very clear how I plan to achieve my business and financial goals. Now I can focus my marketing goals in the same direction. After reviewing my answers, I realized that it is critical to know thyself before knowing thy business. We set goals and objectives for ourselves because it’s what we want to do so that we can achieve something we want most in our lives. The key to setting good business and marketing goals is to be willing to do something (whatever it takes) in an effort to reach that goal. Here’s a tip: setting goals without action steps is being a passive observer in your own business. That brings me to my last step. Think about what you are willing to do in order to achieve the level of success you want. In fact, there could be several answers. Take action and write them down. These are now the basis for your future goals. If you’re like me, you’ll find yourself more focused on achieving success because your purpose is clear, specific and attainable. Most importantly, once you put your goal statements on paper, you’ll be surprised at how committed you’ll become to achieving them.
“When you walk with purpose, you collide with destiny.” — Dr. Bertice Berry
Do you struggle with acheiving your goals or even setting them becasue you’re not sure what you’re doing? I would like to hear your experience with finding your business purpose and using it to set and attain your goals. Stories of success or failure are welcome. Leave a comment below. Cheers!